Learn to turn your specialties to surprises at The Maya Kitchen. Simple everyday dishes can be gourmet with Chef Gen Capati of Cookbook Kitchen who provided the cooking demonstration last Saturday at The Maya Kitchen.
Pork adobo is shredded to go with pasta; thin chicken breast is filled with cheese, ham and basil, rolled and seared to perfection. Cream dory is slowly simmered in wine and fresh grapes; You wouldn’t even recognize the lowly eggplant omelette as it is lovingly baked with pizzaiola sauce, ground pork and cheese. Chocolate rum cake somehow becomes even more beautiful and downright mouth-watering.
Our very own soul food, Pork Adobo was shredded to go with pasta in his famous Pasta Al Adobo:
Ingredients:2 tbsp olive oil, 1 ½ cups tomatoes, chopped, 4 tbsp. soy sauce, 4 tbsp water, 200 grams cooked pork adobo, shredded, 400 grams spaghetti, cooked al dente, 2 tbsp crunchy garlic, 1 tsp fresh parsley, coarsely chopped
1.Saute tomato, 1 tbsp. garlic crunch and shredded adobo in olive oil.
2.Add water and soy sauce. Simmer to reduce the sauce.
3.Add spaghetti and toss.
Serve in a pasta bowl, garnish with 1 tbsp garlic crunch and parsley.
Make your Cream Dory magical with Chef Gen's Boston Poached Fish:
Ingredients:1 medium onion, diced, 1 tbsp. olive oil, 6 pcs. marble potatoes, ¾ cup white wine, 2 pcs cream dory fillet (220 grams per fillet), 16 pcs. seedless grapes, green, ½ tsp. salt, Freshly ground pepper to taste, ½ cup Water
1.Sauté onion in olive oil.
2.Add potatoes, wine and water.
3.Place fish on top and spread grapes around the sides.
4.Season with salt and pepper.
5.Cover and poach over low heat until potatoes are tender, fish firm and cooked, grapes are soft.
I love eggplants and Chef's Gen's Eggplant Medley made it lovingly baked with pizzaiola sauce, ground pork and cheese. Here's the recipe for your reference:
Ingredients: 4 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp. garlic, 1 tbsp. onions, 2 medium sized eggplant, 400 grams ground pork, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded, ½ cup quickmelt cheese, shredded, 2 tbsp. fresh dill, coarsely chopped, 1 cup pizzaiola sauce, Salt and pepper to taste
Pizzaiola Sauce: 3 tbsp. Olive oil, 2 tbsp. garlic, minced, 1 small can whole peeled tomatoes, Salt and pepper to taste
1. Saute garlic in olive oil.
2. Add whole peeled tomatoes.
3. Season with salt and pepper.4. Simmer for 1 hour. Set Aside
Ingredients: 250 grams chicken breast fillet,1 tbsp olive oil,,½ tbsp. Dijon mustard, 1 pc ham,1 slice cheese quickmelt, 3 pcs. Fresh basil leaves, Roasted tomatoes
1 ½ tbsps. soy sauce
1 tbsp. Parsley flakes
1 pinch black pepper
2 tbsps. zesty italian
¼ tsp pesto
½ tbsp balsamic vinegar
½ tsp parmesan cheese
½ tsp white sugar
1. Prepare marinade. Mix all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Marinade chicken overnight.
2. Prepare pesto sauce. Mix all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
3. Heat olive oil in pan. Sear underside of chicken breast. Remove from pan .
4. Spread dijon mustard. Layer the ham, cheese, and basil. Fold the chicken breast.
5. Sear chicken and finish cooking. Serve with roasted tomatoes and pesto sauce on the side.
Finally, Chef Gen's Decadent Chocolate Rhum Cake:
1 c unsifted unsweetened cocoa
2 c boiling water
2-3/4 c MAYAAll Purpose Flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 c butter
2-1/2 c sugar
4 whole eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1. In a bowl, mix unsweetened cocoa w/ 2 c boiling water; mix w/ wire whisk until smooth; set aside & cool completely.
2. Sift all dry ingredients except sugar; measure; then combine together.
3. In large bowl of mixer using paddle, beat butter, sugar, eggs & vanilla until light & fluffy.
4. At low speed, beat in flour mixture and liquid cocoa mixture alternately, ending with
5. Pour into 4 standard-size loaf pans.
6. Bake in 350 deg F oven for 30-35 mins.
Butter Rum Glaze Ingredients:
1 c butter
3/4 c sugar
1/4 c water
1 c rum
1. Pour all ingredients into a saucepan and bring to a simmer for approx. 5 mins.
2. Brush/pour generously rum mixture onto hot cakes.
All these recipes and more to prep you for the holidays which you know better learned from the experts who know exactly what you need to bring those magical surprises at your own dinner table at The Maya Kitchen.For other class schedules, culinary tips and recipes log on to www.themayakitchen.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org.